Saturday, August 14, 2010

I'm here!

I arrived at terminal 4 in the JFK airport around 3:00pm. The Etihad( pronounced Eh-tee' ad) counter didn't open until after 6:00. Not as much shopping as I thought, Atlanta is better. No Starbucks but the coffee shop wasn't bad. I ate a lukewarm pizza, sat on the floor near a wall and plugged in my computer and watched some Glee episodes. Once it was time to check in I found other Teachaway people. We checked in and went to our gate. I thought, great, finally better shopping. Not so. I read, wandered and snacked. Finally at 10:00 something we boarded. I was so happy to see I was at the bulkhead so I had plenty of leg room and right near the bathroom. both advantages for me. The service was great, we got a snack right away, then a meal soon after with "real" silverware. They delivered dessert after the took up the meal. Then after watching more Glee and reading, I slept until about 8:00am eastern time. They served another meal, not breakfast, but like dinner. Ravioli was one choice. There was also curry vegetables and some beef. I even had a glass of wine because the people beside me did and I didn't think it would offend them. It was part of the meal, I didn't have to pay for it.

Once we landed and exited the plane, the ADEC/ Nirvana people were right there. They checked off our names, gave us a paper with some kind of official stamp on it then walked us to the retina scan. After that to passport control where we got our UAE stamp and then we walked as a group through customs.

After leaving the luggage area they were handing out roses to us. then there were people everywhere to guide us. We dropped off our luggage at a truck and boarded an airconitioned bus. The walk from the terminal to the bus was like walking through an industrial laundry room.

We had a long ride to the hotel, which is the Intercontinental, five star I believe and right beside the Emirati Palace, where we were met with cool cloths and juice or water. We checked in, and when our luggage was unloaded we put tags on them and they were brought to our rooms. We have been treated like royalty all the way. It's time to go find something to eat and the try to sleep. It's 10:35 pm here now. I couldn't see much on the drive but the view out of my window is awesome. City lights and cars.

The rooms have bathtubs and they even put slippers by the bed. The internet does cost though.

Those of you coming, no worries, it is very organized and you are treated so great.

More tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. Glad you made it Sandy. Bout time someone treated you like you deserve. Hope you'll still come home when it's time. We'll put slippers by your bed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Retina scan? Glad it's great! Enjoy every minute and relax!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update. I pray you are treated like Royalty the whole time...although we know the kids won't treat you that way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys, wish you all could be here. I'll enjoy it until the "real" world intrudes.

    ReplyDelete