Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Questions you may have.

1. Is it safe? Yes, it is perfectly safe. Have you ever done the snap the other person with a wet towel? Well, the only defense is to get really close to them so they can't snap you. We are really close to Iraq and Iran. Therefore, it's safe, they're not going to blow up their own country. Seriously, it is safer there than it is here lately. People keep trying to blow up parts of the US. I bet you've never seen the UAE in the news.

2. Do I have to wear a big, black covering? No, I don't. I will need to wear modest clothes that reach to my wrist and ankles. I do not need to cover my head and I can wear sandals. It is really hot there so they keep all the restaurants, malls and other places very air conditioned, so I will want long sleeves and slacks. There are places where only Americans go that I can dress regularly. Of course Wesley can wear whatever he wants lucky guy.

3. Are there any customs I should know before I go? Yes, I've learned that they don't like to be touched, kissing in public isn't allowed, and it is impolite to use your left hand for many things.

4. Do I need to be able to speak Arabic? No, in fact the Abu Dhabi Education Council prefers that we use only English in order to immerse the students in the language. I do know how to say, "slowly, slowly" schway, schway, and God willing, "Inshallah"

5. What will I be teaching? Hopefully 3rd grade, Language Arts, Science and Math.

6. Can I get the things I need there? Yes, they are very advanced and the favorite past time is shopping. We will be able to have internet, and all American TV channels. We'll have a car, but taxi's are cheap and the preferred method of travel. They have many American restaurants and stores, including Starbucks, Cold Stone Creamery and furniture stores. What I won't have is an American Library so I will probably buy a Nook or Kindle.

7. How often can we visit? ADEC pays for us to travel home once a year. As long as we don't stay in our home country more than 35 days a year, we won't have to claim our income. Whoo hoo.

Hope that answers most of your questions. If you have more, just post them.

2 comments:

  1. Donna, My understanding from my Accountant, the time is a factor and if you made any income in the USA. I will be checking with her and will report back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I read a bunch of info on the discussion posts, but we need to be sure.

    ReplyDelete